I’m going to be honest with you. This project was always and ONLY a pipe dream, a mythical beast that was never supposed to be real.
Sure, I collected a ton of pallet wood that I THOUGHT would make a great workbench top someday IF I ever glued them together… but I’m notorious for never starting …let alone finishing huge projects like this. Ask my game night buddies about that Poker Table I’ve promised to build…
Every time I found time to work on the workbench there was a mental wall I had to climb over to move this project forward. Why? I don’t know. It could be I was afraid to fail. I had no plans to work from and, at the moment, very little skill to draw from.
I certainly never expected it to turn out to be so beautiful. Its GORGEOUS! I mean, nothing about this workbench screams ‘thrown together!’ which is what I expect pallet wood projects to do — especially when I’m making it up as I go!
My father told me again I missed my ‘calling’ and patted me on the back for doing such a good job on it. Literally. 🙂
It goes without saying, this project would not have been possible, were it not for my hard-working Dewalt thickness planer. I can’t imagine how many hours I would be spending hand planing and/or sanding all this rough pallet wood without it. I also would like my Ryobi Pneumatic Brad Nailer and Kreg Pocket Hole Jig. Take a bow, guys!
Anyway, enough jibber-jabber. Here are the remaining details (see New Workbench for the start of this project):
Oh! I was able to use the failed discarded drawer from my stepdaughter’s bedside table. That’s like DOUBLE RECYCLED, RIGHT!? I just cut off the worst parts and flipped the sides to hide the worst of the damage. I had to pull one of the pieces out of the rain where I tossed it, but it was alright. Reusing the drawer pieces saved a lot of time and headaches. Be sure to check out that build for how I made the drawer in the first place.
The drawer front was the hard part. I spend half an hour looking for a hardwood, properly sized, decent pallet board. It’s not easy to do in their raw, dirty, dull condition. I finally found a piece of Oak that matched the workbench legs perfectly! Time well spent!
The top 3×4 boards all had holes in them – originally for bolts. I did put a couple of bolts through the outer boards after gluing up — just for extra measure. I glued and hammered dowels into the remaining holes and later cut and sanded those down. Looking at the finished result, I wish I had purchased darker, wooden dowels for all the holes – for the contrast. Oh well!
“Oh!”, again! For this project, I used reclaimed hardware as well as wood. The nuts and bolts in the legs are from some heavy-duty IT pallets that were used to deliver huge servers — which is where the wood came from for the top. I’ve since learned the company that delivers these pallets are no longer allowed to just leave them. They are required to pick them back up for reuse. Shucks! I’m glad I got them when I did!
I’m applying about four coats of Boiled Linseed Oil followed by Bee’s Wax to give it a tough, natural finish. However, I fully expect to keep a sacrificial top around for when I’m painting or staining. This thing is so purdy, I’m afraid to use it!
And yes, I’m still looking into vise hardware. I’m crossing my fingers that I left enough room after adding the drawer.